If you’ve ever been curious about what Midjourney is and what makes it tick, this comprehensive Midjourney guide is for you.
What is Midjourney?
Midjourney is a cutting-edge generative artificial intelligence service launched by the San Francisco-based independent research lab, Midjourney, Inc.
Its primary function is to generate images using natural language prompts, drawing comparisons to other AI image generators such as DALL-E and Stable Diffusion.
By simply inputting a text description, called a “prompt,” users can conjure up images ranging from the uncannily realistic to the breathtakingly surreal.
The service operates on a self-funded and closed-source model, leveraging state-of-the-art machine learning technologies, specifically large language and diffusion models.
As of its open beta launch in July 12, 2022, users can create and interact with this AI art generator through Discord bot commands.
Its ease of use and the quality of results have quickly propelled Midjourney to the forefront of AI art generation tools. As many would attest, Midjourney’s AI-driven platform is revolutionizing creativity, collaboration, and the world of art.
How Does Midjourney Work?
At its core, Midjourney operates using two significant machine learning technologies: large language models and diffusion models. Here’s a simple breakdown:
- Understanding the Prompt: A large language model is first employed to comprehend the essence of your text prompt. This understanding is subsequently transformed into a numerical version or a “vector.”
- Generating the Image: This vector then guides the diffusion process, a complex machine learning algorithm that identifies an image closely resembling your description. The system then generates a unique image based on this interpretation.
It’s worth noting that the image generation process isn’t instantaneous. Images can take up to a minute or two to fully render, and prematurely halting this process may produce images that appear noisy or incomplete.
Best Use Cases for Midjourney
While Midjourney’s potential applications are vast, some of its most popular and impactful use cases include:
- Redefining conventional art styles.
- Crafting dreamlike surrealistic landscapes.
- Designing distinctive logos and branding materials.
- Creating personalized avatars for social media.
- Fashioning high-quality mockups for showcasing products.
- Constructing assets for video games, including characters, environments, and more.
- Enhancing advertising campaigns with captivating visuals.
- Conceptualizing new products or services.
- Editing and enhancing images.
- Stimulating team creativity with innovative visuals.
How to Start Using Midjourney?
If you’re eager to dive into the world of Midjourney, follow these steps:
- If you haven’t already, create a Discord account.
- Navigate to the Midjourney website and select “Join the beta” to receive an invite to their Discord server.
- After accepting the invite, choose any #General or #Newbie channel on the Midjourney server.
- Begin by typing “/imagine” in the chat, followed by your desired image description.
- Wait for Midjourney to work its magic and present you with a generated image!
If you find yourself using Midjourney frequently, consider subscribing to one of their plans for additional benefits.
Difference Between Midjourney Plans
Midjourney provides users with three distinct Midjourney subscription plans, each tailored to different needs and budgets:
- Basic Plan: At $10/month or $96/year, users get 200 minutes of fast GPU hours monthly, translating to roughly 100 images. This plan doesn’t include relaxed GPU hours.
- Standard Plan: Priced at $30/month or $288/year, subscribers enjoy 15 hours of fast GPU hours each month (around 750 images) and unlimited relaxed GPU hours.
- Pro Plan: For $60/month or $576/year, users get unlimited fast and relaxed GPU hours. This plan also boasts of stealth mode, allowing you to keep your images private on the Midjourney gallery.
It’s crucial to note that all plans provide access to the member gallery, official Discord, and standard commercial usage terms.
However, companies with an annual revenue exceeding $1,000,000 USD must opt for the Pro plan.
Is There a Midjourney Free Trial?
Regrettably, as of September 2023, Midjourney has ceased offering its free trial to new users.
Previously, a free trial was available, granting users the capability to generate up to 25 images without any charge. This decision to pause the free trial was made due to a massive surge in new user registrations.
Presently, those eager to use Midjourney must choose from one of its subscription-based plans.
In the rapidly evolving world of AI and digital art, Midjourney stands as a beacon of innovation, bringing the power of AI-driven creativity to the fingertips of users worldwide.
Whether you’re an artist, designer, marketer, or simply someone intrigued by the fusion of technology and art, Midjourney offers a unique platform to bring your visions to life.