Once you have created your YouTube channel, before you would even upload your first YouTube video, it makes sense to verify a YouTube channel.
In this YouTube tutorial, we are going to show you how to verify a YouTube account (channel) and also explain why it is important to have a verified YouTube channel.
Without further ado, let’s dive in.
How To Verify a YouTube Account?
Here is how to verify a YouTube account:
- Sign in to YouTube
- Open the link https://youtube.com/verify
- Here you have to verify your YouTube account with a phone number
- Select if you want YouTube to call you or text you with the verification code
- Add your location
- Add the phone number
- Click on ‘Get code’
- Enter the code you have received.
- Click on ‘Submit’
Now, if the verification matches the one Google sent you, you should be able to receive the following message that your YouTube account has been verified.
Why is it important to verify a YouTube account?
There are four main benefits that make it essential to verify a YouTube channel:
- upload custom video thumbnails
- start YouTube live streams
- appeal Content ID claims
- upload YouTube videos that are longer than 15 minutes
As having a great thumbnail is very important to get more views on YouTube as it has a very strong effect on increasing YouTube click-through rate, we encourage you to verify the YouTube channel as soon as you can.
Besides this, YouTube will be able to identify that there is a real human behind the YouTube channel, so it is easier for them to fight spam and abuse on the YouTube platform.
Can’t verify my YouTube channel
Here are the most common issues that will prevent you from getting verified:
- You probably won’t be able to verify the YouTube account, if you have used this phone number on more than 2 channels in the last 12 months. You either have to use another phone number for YouTube verification or wait a couple of months at least.
- In some countries, mobile carriers don’t support text messages from Google. In this case, you can still receive a call from Google, so it definitely
- You don’t have to right the YouTube channel role. You either have to be a YouTube channel manager or owner to be able to verify a YouTube account.
- You haven’t received your text message yet. This can happen sometimes if you live in a densely populated, so in this case, wait a couple of minutes or even an hour. If you still haven’t received the message or the call, try again a couple of later from scratch.
- To make sure you are verified, open the URL youtube.com/verify. If you see the following message it means that your YouTube account has been verified. Your phone number has already been verified.
This phone number has already created the maximum number of accounts
This is the message you will get if you have used this phone number for YouTube channel verification more than twice in the last year. YouTube only allows people to use a phone number for 2 new YouTube channel verifications per year.
There is not any real solution for this besides the one we have mentioned above.
Get the verified badge on Your channel
If your YouTube channel is already verified, but you want to get the YouTube verification badge with the checkmark, check out this tutorial: