Sometimes when you sign up on social media people make poor decisions, especially when it comes to making a username. Luckily most social media apps allow you to do this, including TikTok, this is a beginner TikTok tutorial on how to change your TikTok username.
How To Change TikTok Username?
Here is how to change your username on TikTok:
- Open the app
- Tap on the profile icon at the bottom right (or the ‘Me’ icon)
- Once there, select “Edit Profile”
- Now you can select either to change your username or the profile name. If desired, you can do both, but select change username.
- Enter the username you want to change it to.
- Select “Save” then you are done!
Here is a video tutorial on how to change TikTok username:
Tiktok Username Requirements
Changing your TikTok username is relatively easy, but there are some requirements when you sign up or when you decide to change your username. Here are some requirements for changing your TikTok username.
- You can only change your TikTok username once every thirty days. This is a rule set by TikTok themselves.
- Usernames can only have letters, numbers, underscores, and periods. You can’t add special characters such as “!, @, and #”.
- You cannot have a period at the end of your Tiktok username, this is another rule set by TikTok
Tips For Choosing a Good TikTok Username
When signing up on anything, including TikTok, it can be hard to decide what username you want to choose. This is why changing your username in the TikTok app is a thing, because many people may regret the username choice they made. Here are some tips on choosing a username for TikTok.
- Usually, people have something they like in their username. This can be a song, food, or even a way of living. The choice is purely up to you when it comes to that, just as long as it works for you.
- Some people actually do use their real names in their username. This is up to you unless you want your name out there then you probably shouldn’t do this.
- Sometimes people use whatever job they work at in their username. This is also something that is up to you, and if you don’t want information out there, then you shouldn’t do this.
- You can also use a username generator, just search on Google and there are a few of them on there- but don’t go with a random one. There are a few that you can put words you want in the username, which then will generate usernames based on that.
- Try to avoid using numbers, everyone does this and no one likes a number nancy! (jokes aside, try to be creative! It’s your username after all!)
- Don’t use random numbers if you do use numbers. Use numbers that have meaning to you.
Why You Can’t Change Your TikTok Username
There are many reasons why you can’t change your username in TikTok. I already mentioned a little bit as to why, but I’ll explain more.
- You have a period at the end of your username, TikTok doesn’t allow this. You’ll have to come up with something else without a period, maybe a period in the middle would work better anyways!
- You can only change your username once every thirty days. This is another rule made by TikTok, so if you recently changed it before the thirty-day rule, you’ll have to wait since the last time you changed it.
- Two people can’t have the same username. TikTok doesn’t have numbered tags like Discord does or Battle.Net (they do this so people can have the same username). So if you’re not allowed to change it- this could be why using a slight variation of the username could work with this.
Other Information For Changing Your TikTok Username
Changing your TikTok username can have a few other side effects when you do decide to change it, though it isn’t much, it still should be known if anyone is curious.
- When changing your username on TikTok, you are also changing your TikTok URL address. People with this old URL will not be able to see your videos. Be wary of this when changing your username.
- Also, people may not know if you changed your username, they may unfollow not knowing who you are. You might want to announce that you did.