One of the best ways to grow your TikTok following? Start experimenting with TikTok duets.
In this TikTok marketing tutorial, we are going to explain to you how to duet on TikTok to grow your following on TikTok and everything else that you have to know about the TikTok Duet feature.
If you prefer to watch a video tutorial on how to duet on TikTok, check out this tutorial on TikTok duets:
How to Duet on TikTok?
A very important way to build your following on TikTok when you’re just starting out is to duet popular, controversial or opinionated vide0s.
We’ll talk more about that below, but first, let’s go over how easy it is to duet someone else’s video on TikTok.
Here is how to duet on TikTok:
- Open the TikTok app
- Scroll through your FYP (for you page). It won’t take long to hit a viral video of someone you follow other content creators.
- Click the “arrow” sign at the bottom right of the video. This arrow is typically used for sharing, but you will see a ‘duet” option.
- Click duet, and you will be placed side by side with the user’s video.
- Record your video as normal by tapping the record button to record your reaction
- Stop recording, and make sure to edit your video with filters, text, voiceovers and music. If the duet already has music, you don’t have to worry.
- Add hashtags and publish your video when satisfied.
What is a TikTok Duet?
A duet on TikTok is “responding” to another user’s video. When you duet, the original video will play on the right hand side of the screen, and you have the opportunity to record yourself side-by-side with the video, with your peice being on the left side.
A TikTok duet has huge benefits in getting your content seen or having users interact with your page. below we’ll go over some helpful tips on how to make a successful duet.
Tips for a successful TikTok duet
First and foremost, for a duet to be successful you will need to assure 2 things; the video is popular, controversial or provokes a response from the audience (cringe, laughs, sadness, wholesome etc.) and, shooting a good video. below are some points that will help you do both
Find a popular TikTok influencer, or a popular reactionary video and duet it – this will increase the chances that your duet will be seen rather than just filming a regular video
- Stay in sync with the video. Some people just like to duet and agree, but you will get more engagement if you sync up and react to the video.
- Over-express yourself. TikTok acting and movie acting is completely different, users engage more with people who overexpress their movements, facial expressions, words, and ideas.
- Stay in the same frame as the video, make sure lighting, sound and the position of objects or your body match the person you are duetting.
- Learn to identify trends. TikTok trends come and go very quickly. Chances are if you see a dance or trend to a specific type of music, you can be sure that duetting this video would get you more TikTok views than usual.
Why are TikTok duets beneficial?
Duets are one of the simplest and most effective ways to build your channel or to grow your TikTok following. “Content-jacking” or the idea that taking an already popular page, video or comment section and interacting with it will be much more beneficial than making single videos on an irregular basis and hoping they go viral.
TikTok Duets also establish your “niche” or the people in your following that agree with your views and topics.
The best way to have a successful TikTok profile, even when it’s a small community, is for people to be like-minded and to share your interests. This can include DIY, Cooking, How-To’s, Political and religious opinions etc. Duets provide extended reach, engagement and followers that match these criteria quicker, and grow your page faster.
Key things to remember when duetting on TikTok
- Some TikTokers make videos that are specifically made to duet – you can search “duet this” or “duet with me” and engage easily with that content to start out
- Don’t forget to turn on duets for your OWN TikTok videos. Duetting videos is a great way to build engagement and audience, but BEING duetted is like free advertising; you can’t get enough of it.
Not every TikTok duet will be a success, but a channel grows with content. Don’t get discouraged, keep posting, and refine your videos. You’ll be successful in no time