LinkedIn Insight Tag or sometimes called LinkedIn Pixel is absolute must if you are advertising on LinkedIn.
In this Linkedin ads tracking tutorial, we are going to show you how to create and set up the LinkedIn insight tag for your website.
If you prefer to watch a video tutorial on how to create and set up a LinkedIn Insight tag, check out this video tutorial:
What is the LinkedIn Insight Tag and why it is important to add to your website?
Here is a brief nudge to those who don’t know what LinkedIn is, or the services provided by this online platform. LinkedIn is a social network platform for professionals all around the globe where they can connect, share ideas or opportunities, and learn.
In addition, it is also a career advancement platform connecting prospective employees to employers or individuals to career opportunities.
Conversions from any campaign ads, through any form of customer engagement or purchase, are the ultimate aim of any online business. In addition to the aforementioned features of LinkedIn, the platform also provides marketing and advertisement services based on its large number of users.
So, as a business owner, you can leverage off this, and advertise or market your products or services to a high, targeted audience.
The Insight Tag properly measures the success of the LinkedIn ads campaign and helps you as a business owner figure out what you are doing right or wrong, which you can make informed decisions off. A high conversion rate or success means you are reaching the right audience, while low returns mean there is room for improvements on the advertisement campaign. This makes it very important to be added to your website.
How to Create a LinkedIn Insight Tag?
This is a simple process that I will be walking you through by providing a step-by-step guide on how to create your tag. The steps are highlighted below:
First, log in with your LinkedIn account to LinkedIn Campaign Manager on https://www.linkedin.com/campaignmanager/new-advertiser. There you will fill in these sections with the right information:
- Account Name
- Currency (make sure to choose the right option as it cannot be changed later)
- Associate a LinkedIn page with your account (optional)
- After filling in the correct information, proceed and click on “Agree and Create Account”
- The next step after creating your account is clicking on the “Website Demographics” menu
- After clicking on the menu and opening it, it displays a page where you will find “Set up Your Insight Tag”, below
- After clicking on it, you have successfully created your tag, with the next step being the various options on how you can add the tag to your website.
How to Add the LinkedIn Insight Tag to your Website?
As I pointed out earlier, the next step after creating your Insight Tag is choosing out of the various options how you can add your tag to your website. It comes in three different options:
- Adding the tag to your website, yourself
- Sending the tag to a developer to add to your website
- Using a tag manager. (most likely Google Tag Manager)
The next step is selecting the appropriate option and following the instruction attached to your preferred option. You either copy the code if you plan on adding it manually yourself or have it sent to your email with further instructions, or use a tag manager.
If you mistakenly click on “Agree and Continue” without either copying your code or sending it to your email, you can go back to the LinkedIn Campaign Manager and retrieve it. On the right side of the page, you will find “Manage Insight Tag”, click on it and you will find “See Tag” on the drop-down menu. It will take you back to the Insight Tag menu after clicking.
If you are adding the code manually and not using a developer or tag manager, please follow these steps carefully:
- The first step is to copy and paste your complete tag code
- The second step is making sure all quotation marks are straight instead of curly
- After that final step is done, LinkedIn would be notified about the tag placed on your website, and your domains can now be found under Insight tag. This process can take up to 24 hours, so do not fret much after just a few hours.
LinkedIn Conversion Tracking
This is the next step after properly adding the Insight Tag to your website. It allows you to properly understand the type of action visiting people take on your website after engaging with your ad.
However, prior to this, you need to set up your conversion, having in mind your ideal form of conversion and choosing from it.
The conversion can be either focused on LinkedIn members visiting some pages on your website; sitewide Insight Tag, or carrying out specific actions.
You can find the Conversion Tracking on the drop-down menu after clicking on Account Asset. On your left, you will find “Create Conversion” then click on Online Conversion. Follow the instructions and steps carefully, while filling in the right information.
How to Check if LinkedIn Pixel is tracking properly?
You can easily check and know if your LinkedIn Pixel is tracking properly by using the LinkedIn Pixel Helper which is available on Chrome. You can add the extension checker to your browser by following this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/linkedin-pixel-helper-by/emmdmaikmkpkaojkmabkimibajheahdh?hl=en.
I hope this article is educating and really helpful to you as a reader, as that was its purpose. Thank you for taking your time to follow me on this impactive journey and I hope to see you around.