LinkedIn is one of the most popular social media sites. But do you know that if you want to change your LinkedIn profile URL, then you’d have to follow certain steps? In this Linkedin profile tutorial article, we’ll share informative content on how to change LinkedIn profile URL.
How to Change LinkedIn Profile URL?
Here is how to change LinkedIn profile URL:
- Click the ‘Me’ icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Select View profile.
- Click Edit public profile & URL..
- You’ll be redirected to the Public profile settings page.
- Under Edit your custom profile URL on the right side, click the Edit icon next to your public profile URL.
- It’ll be an address that looks like www.linkedin.com/in/testname
- Type the last part of your new Linkedin Profile URL in the text box.
- Click on ‘Save’.
Now, your LinkedIn profile URL should be changed to the one you have specified.
Rules Related to LinkedIn Profile URLs
The rules related to the LinkedIn profile URLs are very simple and easy to follow. If you follow these rules, it will be quite easy for you to change your LinkedIn profile URL. Let’s look at some of the important regulations related to LinkedIn profile URLs.
Choose a Profile URL That Includes Your Name
You must choose a profile URL that includes your name. For example, if your name is Steve Rogers, it would be good to have a profile URL like http://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-rogers. This will make it easier for people to remember your profile URL and find you on LinkedIn.
Avoid Profile URLs That Are Long
It is not good to use long profile URLs as they are quite difficult to remember. For example, a profile URL like http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-rogers/11/951/a1 is quite long and difficult to remember.
Don’t Use the “Profile” TLD
It is not a good idea to use the “profile” TLD as it might get your profile page filtered out by search engines like Google or Bing, and you might not be able to get the right visibility for your profile.
Use Keywords That are Relevant to Your Profession
You should use keywords relevant to your profession and work experience when naming your profile URL. For example, if you are a doctor, you should use the words “doctor” or “physician” in your profile URL. If you are a chef, use words like “chef” or “cooking” in your profile URL.
You Can Include Numbers in Your Profile URL
You can include numbers in your profile URL. You should use numbers that are relevant to your profession and work experience. For example, if you are a lawyer, you can use the number “123” in your profile URL. If you are a web designer, you can use the number “3” in your profile URL.
Don’t Use Brackets in Your Profile URL
Brackets should not be used in your profile URL. Brackets should be used in the “Website” field, not the profile URL.
You Can Include Special Characters in Your Profile URL
You can include special characters such as $ and % in your profile URL. In your profile URL, you should avoid using special characters such as &, <, >, #, and @. These characters may cause a problem when your profile is shared on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook.
Tips for a Great LinkedIn Profile URL
If you want to include a link to your LinkedIn profile in your email signature, here are some tips:
- Do not include the “www” in your profile URL.
- Use dashes instead of underscores or spaces in your profile URL.
- Avoid special characters such as &, <, >, #, and @ in your profile URL.
- Keep your profile URL short and easy to remember, preferably less than 20 characters long, including spaces and punctuation marks (not including the HTTP://).
- Use an image file type (.jpg) for your avatar image in your profile.
- Include a few keywords in your profile URL to help people find you, for example, http://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinkerr.
- You can nclude your location and industry in your profile URL, for example, http://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinkerr-pittsburgh-pa-20951229 .
- Do not include an “r” after the word “LinkedIn” in your profile URL.
- Use a clear, legible font in your profile summary, for example, Arial, Times New Roman, or Verdana.
- Do not include personal email addresses in your profile contact information section.
- Do not use ALL CAPS when typing in your profile summary text box (this applies to all sections of your profile).
Can’t Change LinkedIn Public Profile URL?
Even after following the tips mentioned above and the rules, you cannot change the URL. Because of the limited number of characters that LinkedIn allows you to use. To fix this issue, please try these steps:
- Log in to your LinkedIn account and go to Profile Settings.
- In the “Profile” section, click on Edit Public Profile URL.
- Now, add a hyphen (-) between your name and surname. For example, if your name is “Hari Krishna,” your new public profile URL will be harikrishna-profile.com.
- Save the changes, and you’re done! This is how you can change your LinkedIn public profile URL.
It is to change your LinkedIn public profile URL. If you are an active user of LinkedIn, then you should change your public profile URL.