If Twitter is one of your favorite social media channels, then I bet you may have noticed at one time that some people you follow have changed their Twitter handles.
This is common as people may want to incorporate their brand names to their Twitter handle, or if you were using a surname probably from your spouse, you could opt to change and drop the name from your handle. So, if you are wondering if you can change your Twitter handle, then the answer is yes, you can.
But, the big question is, how do you go about it? This article will provide the steps to follow when changing a Twitter handle and other crucial details you need to know about when changing the Twitter handle.
How to Change a Twitter Handle?
Here is how to change a Twitter Handle:
- The first step is to log in to your Twitter account.
- Click on the “settings and privacy” option, and your profile icon will pop up.
- Then browse through your account profile to “account information” and click on it.
- On the account information options, select the “username” tab. You will be presented with a blank space box where you need to type your new username.
- Then type in your new username on this box.
Note that your new username has to be unique. Twitter will give suggestions that you can choose from, and also, if the user name is taken, it will keep on declining until you form a unique username.
- If the username you write is approved, click on “save” at the bottom of the page.
How to Change a Twitter Handle in the mobile app?
Not that the steps for changing your Twitter handle on android and iOS phones slightly differ, considering the two smartphone models have different features. However, here are steps to follow when changing your Twitter handle on either phone type.
Changing Twitter handle on iPhones
- Open your Twitter handle on your iPhone
- Then click on “Me,” located at the bottom of the page, and this will open your profile
- On your profile page, select “edit,” and an empty box will appear for you to key in your new username
- Once you change the username, tap “done.”
Changing Twitter handle on Android phone
- Log in to your Twitter account
- Click on “settings and privacy,” and you will be directed to various options
- Scroll down and tap on the “account” option
- Click on the “Twitter” key in your new user name and click ok on the account page.
Twitter Handle Rules
- The user name you choose should not exceed 15 characters.
- A Twitter name should not have less than four words but can have up to 50 characters.
- A user name should only contain alphabetical letters, numerical numbers (1 to 9) and maybe underscores.
- You should always have a unique username. Your username should not be possessed by another user, as Twitter will reject it.
I can’t change my Twitter handle
If another user already takes the username, then Twitter will not accept it from your end. In this case, you should try out new names until you find a unique one that you like and no one has it.
The username you use may be unavailable for use. You can keep trying with new user names or, better yet, use the suggested names by Twitter.
If your Twitter app is outdated, there may be some issues trying to change the handle. If you are getting the message “we’re sorry but the ability to change your username is not currently supported on Twitter mobile apps,” you can try by updating your Twitter handle. If it still doesn’t work, log in to your Twitter using mobile.twitter.com or twitter.com to change the username.
Twitter username is taken – what can you do?
If you still want to use that username, you can make a few changes, such as:
- Using abbreviations or shortening it
- You can remove two letters or add more numerical numbers.
- You can also swap your names such that if you had used your first name and the second name, begin with your second name and then your first name.
- For a business account, use your website name.
- Include what you do (maybe content creator, actor, or singer)
- Start with words like “the” or add it in the middle of the username.
- Use abbreviations on the user name.