In this Facebook group tutorial, we are going to show you how to delete a Facebook group you don’t use anymore.
Besides this, we are also going to cover the main alternatives of deleting a Facebook group and which you should choose if you don’t want to delete all the content and members from a Facebook.
If you prefer to watch a video tutorial on how to delete a Facebook group permanently, check out this one:
How to delete a Facebook group?
Here is how to delete a Facebook group:
- Open your Facebook newsfeed
- On the left sidebar click on the Groups page then under ‘Groups you manager’ select the Facebook Group you want to delete
- First, you have to remove every member from the Facebook group before you could delete the Facebook group. As the first step of this, you have to click on the Members tab on the homepage of the Facebook group.
- You have to remove every member of the Facebook group. You can do this by clicking on the three dots next to the name of the Facebook users, then choose the ‘Remove member’ option.
- Once you removed every single member from the Facebook Group, you can now delete the Facebook Group. For this, you have to click on the three dots on the top right corner.
- From the dropdown, select ‘Leave Group’
- If you are really the last member of the Facebook group, then you will get a message from Facebook then once you leave the Facebook group, the group will be also deleted. To confirm the deletion of the Facebook Group, click on ‘Leave group.
Of course, you have to have administrator access to be able to remove FB Group members and to delete the FB Group.
Can’t delete the Facebook group
If you have issues deleting the Facebook group, here are the most common reasons you should consider:
- As we mentioned, you have to first remove all group members before you would be able to delete the Facebook group. If you have too many members, try to pause the Facebook group instead (see next section)
- You also have to have admin access to be able to delete the Facebook group. Here you can read a tutorial on how to get admin access to a Facebook group
Alternatives to deleting a Facebook group
Instead of deleting the Facebook group, you can also implement some alternative solutions. These can be better, as you don’t delete all the content and the members from the Facebook group and they are not permanent decisions.
Archive the FB Group
One of the alternatives to deleting a group is to archive it. By archiving the Facebook group, you don’t delete any content and you don’t have to delete the Facebook group members. You only stop people from interacting within the group.
When a FB group is archived, group members can’t create new posts and comment on previously created posts.
Update 2021: Facebook has deprecated this Facebook group feature, instead you can pause a Facebook group now
Pause the group
The new way of stopping a Facebook group without deleting it permanently is to pause the Facebook group.
This way, the group is not deleted, but no members can create new posts or comment on posts that have been shared earlier. You can unpause the Facebook group any time you want.
Rebrand the Facebook group
Another way to get some benefits from a Facebook group instead of deleting it is to rebrand the Facebook group to a new Facebook group.
You can change the name of the Facebook group and even customize the Facebook group URL. This way, you don’t have to grow the Facebook group from scratch.
If the reason for deleting your Facebook group is that your Facebook group was not successful in growing its membership then we would recommend our Facebook post on how you can grow your Facebook group with Facebook group marketing.
We still believe that Facebook group marketing is the best way currently to reach your customers or potential clients on Facebook without paying a lot for Facebook advertising.
Frequently Asked Questions – Delete a Facebook Group
I can’t delete a Facebook Group, why?
This can happen for two main reasons. First, you should be the admin of the Facebook page to be able to delete a Facebook group. Secondly, you have to remove all members of the Facebook group before you would be able to delete the Facebook group.
What is the difference between deleting and archiving a Facebook group?
If you only archive a Facebook a group, then the Facebook group won’t get deleted and all the posts in the group will be also still visible. The group members won’t be able to create new posts and comment and react to the old ones. When you archive a Facebook group, you don’t have to remove the group members.