One of the new features in Facebook Groups is the ability to make someone a Facebook Group Expert.
In this Facebook group tutorial, we are going to show you how to make someone a Facebook Group Expert and how you can take away this group badge if you no longer feel that it is deserved.
If you prefer to watch a video tutorial on how to make someone a Facebook group expert, check out this one:
What is a Facebook Group Expert?
A Facebook Group Expert is a new Facebook group badge that you can assign to Facebook Group members. These group expert icons should help regular members see who are the experts in the Facebook group and whose answers and comments they can trust.
As opposed to other Facebook group badges, Facebook group expert badges don’t get assigned automatically by Facebook’s algorithm.
Only Facebook group admins can make someone a Facebook group expert as we will show in the next article.
When someone receives and accepts the Facebook group expert status, a group expert badge will appear next to his name when he posts or makes a comment in the group. (If he doesn’t choose to hide the group expert badge. But why he would do that?)
How to make someone a Group Expert in a Facebook Group?
Here is how to make someone a Facebook Group Expert:
- Open the Facebook group.
- Click on ‘Members’ under the Facebook Cover photo.
- Search for the member you want to make a group expert
- Click on the three dots next to his name.
- Select ‘Add as group expert’.
That’s it. This member will now have a Facebook group expert icon next to his name, if they accept the Group Expert role. Keep in mind that if they want to do so, they can reject the Facebook Group Expert role.
You can also check out this video tutorial on the Facebook Group Expert badge and how you can assign it to someone:
How to remove a Group Expert badge from someone?
If you change your mind and want to remove the Group Expert designation from someone, here is how to do it:
- Open the Facebook group.
- Click on ‘Members’
- Select the member by clicking on the three dots next to his name.
- Click on ‘Remove as group expert’.
Don’t worry, Facebook won’t send a notification to the person that the group expert icon has been removed from him.
Can’t make someone a Facebook Group Expert
If you are struggling to assign Facebook Group Expert roles, here are the most common issues:
- You can’t add someone the Facebook Group Expert role if
- they have received more than three Community Standards violations across Facebook within the past 90 days
- they have received more than two misinformation violations in that group within the past 90 days
- You also have to be a Facebook group admin to be able to assign the Facebook Group Expert role to someone.
- The person can reject the Facebook Group Expert role request. It can’t be assigned without consent.
FAQ – Facebook Group Experts
What does the Group Expert badge mean?
The Facebook Group Expert badge is a role assigned by the Facebook group admins to help regular members to easily identify knowledgeable members who are worthy of attention.
Should you assign the Group Expert badge to Facebook group members?
Yes, if your Facebook group grows over 100 members, it starts making sense to assign Facebook Group Expert roles to people who are knowledgeable about the topic of the Facebook group. It can not only help members to recognize valuable information more easily, but also helps keeping these experts more engaged in the group.