If you are using WhatsApp as the main channel for chatting with customers then it also makes sense to connect your WhatsApp account with your Instagram account.
In this WhatsApp marketing tutorial, we are going to show you step by step how to link a WhatsApp account with an Instagram business account. We are also going to explain cases when you can’t connect a WhatsApp account with an Instagram profile.
Last but not least, we are also going to showcase how to add a WhatsApp button to your Instagram bio.
How to connect WhatsApp Account with an Instagram account?
Here is how to connect the WhatsApp account with the Instagram account:
- Open the Instagram business account.
- Open your profile and tap on the menu.
- Select ‘Settings’
- Tap on the ‘Account’ option.
- Tap on ‘Sharing To Other apps’
- Select ‘WhatsApp’.
- Add your WhatsApp number and click on ‘Send code’
- Add the verification code you received in WhatsApp.
If everything went smoothly, your Instagram account should be connected to your WhatsApp account.
Once you connected the Instagram account with the WhatsApp account you can add a WhatsApp button to your Instagram bio that should take the users to their WhatsApp to message your business.
You can also check out this video tutorial:
Let’s see how to do this.
Add WhatsApp Button Link To Instagram
Here is how to add a WhatsApp button to your Instagram bio:
- Open your Instagram profile
- Tap on ‘Edit profile’
- Scroll down and select ‘Contact Options’
- Delete any contact option except WhatsApp.
Now the WhatsApp button should only appear as a contact option for your Facebook page.
Keep in mind that you can’t add other contact options to your Insta profile as in that case, instead of the WhatsApp button a Contact option button will appear on your Instagram profile.
Can’t link WhatsApp with Instagram account
Here are the most common reasons why you might not be able to connect your Instagram account with the WhatsApp business account.
- WhatsApp Account is not a business account
If you want to connect the WhatsApp account with the Instagram account, your WhatsApp account must be a business account. Here you can learn more about creating a WhatsApp business account and how to set it up:
- Instagram account is not a business account
Just like the WhatsApp account, the Instagram account also has to be a business account if you want to connect the two accounts together.
It is fairly easy to switch a personal Instagram account to a business account, you can see the process in this tutorial:
- You don’t have the right Instagram business category
Last but not least, certain Instagram categories are not allowed to be connected with the WhatsApp account. Here you can find a list of business categories that don’t meet the WhatsApp commerce policy so you won’t be able to connect it with your Insta account:
Remove WhatsApp link from Instagram
If you no longer want to connect your WhatsApp account with your Instagram profile, you can remove the connection easily:
- Open the WhatsApp business app.
- Tap on the three dots and select ‘Business Tools’.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Facebook & Instagram’.
- Select the Instagram account that is connected with WhatsApp
- Click on ‘Remove profile’.
- Confirm that you want to disconnect the Instagram profile from WhatsApp.
Add other contact buttons to your Instagram bio
As we have shown in other tutorials, you can also add an email or a call button to your Instagram bio:
Check out these Instagram marketing tutorials, if you are interested.