The Facebook page name is arguably the most important element of your Facebook page’s brand identity. When you create a Facebook page you have to add your Facebook page name, so you might not come up with the most ideal Facebook page name, and want to edit it now. Fortunately, you can change the Facebook page name any time you want, as we will show in this quick Facebook page tutorial.
We are going to cover everything related to changing the Facebook page name:
- first we will show how to change the Facebook page name step by step
- we will also explain possible issues preventing you from changing the Facebook page name
- next steps you should take after changing the Facebook page name
- alternatives to editing the Facebook page name
- how to change the Facebook name (profile name)
If you prefer to watch a video tutorial on how to change Facebook page name, check out this one:
How to change the Facebook page name?
Here is to change the name of your Facebook page:
- Open the Facebook page.
- Scroll down and click ‘Settings’ with the gear icon
- Click on ‘Page info’
- Here you can add the new Facebook page name.
- Review your name change request and click ‘Request Change’.
If you prefer a video tutorial on how to change the Facebook page name, check out this video tutorial:
Can’t change the Facebook page name
There are five possible reasons why you most likely aren’t able to change the Facebook page name. Let’s go over them one by one where I will also explain what you can do with each of them:
- You don’t have the right Facebook page role (admin) that is necessary for changing the Facebook page name. Learn more about Facebook page roles here.
- If you or another Facebook page administrator has changed the name of the Facebook business page recently then you can’t change it right away.
- You can’t change the name of a regional Facebook page if is connected to a Global Facebook page.
- There is a limit on your Facebook page. A limit can be placed on a FB business page for multiple reasons, including not using authenticated profiles for Facebook page management, the content that has been posted on the Facebook page going against Facebook hate speech policy or against their community standards. Click here to learn more about Facebook page limits.
- Also, there are some rules related to the naming of Facebook pages. Some of these rules you should keep in mind:
- you can’t include words and terms that may be abusive or violate someone’s rights.
- Improper punctuation
- the world Facebook and its variation
- the word ‘official’ if the Facebook page is not actually an official Facebook page
Next steps after editing the Facebook page name
After you have changed the Facebook page name, you should also change other elements of your Facebook business page that are related to your page name, so you can change your complete Facebook brand identity.
Other things that we would suggest to change:
- we would also change the Facebook page URL
- we would also change the username of your Facebook page
- change the profile picture if your Facebook page name was included somewhere in the Facebook profile picture
- change your Facebook cover photo
If the change in your Facebook page name is not just a minor change in a name then we would definitely encourage you to communicate that with your Facebook page fans and followers.
In a separate Facebook post, you would explain why you decided to change the Facebook page name and what kind of other changes they should expect in terms of content or if everything stays the same.
Alternatives to changing the Facebook business page name
As we said, changing your Facebook page name is not the only way how you can handle issues with your Facebook page. If you don’t have a lot of followers and fans then you can also permanently delete a Facebook page or unpublish the Facebook page, so it won’t be visible for the public.
If you are interested in the step by step tutorial of these processes check out these tutorials:
Also, don’t forget that you can merge two Facebook pages if the Facebook pages are really similar and somehow there is a duplicate of your Facebook page.
How to change Facebook name?
This tutorial is on how to change a Facebook page name. However, you might want to change the name of your Facebook profile. You can also do that, so let’s see the step-by-step.
Here is how to change Facebook profile name:
- Click on the down arrow in the top right corner.
- Select ‘Settings and Privacy’ then ‘Settings’.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ button where you see your current Facebook name.
- Change it to your new name that will show up on Facebook.
- Click on ‘Review Change’
Facebook Support team will review your request and if they approve it, your Facebook name will change to the one you added. It also means that once it is changed, you won’t be able to change your Facebook profile name for 60 days.