Facebook Shopping Custom Audiences targeting is the brand new way how you can make Engagement Custom Audiences from people who used your Instagram or Facebook Shops.
If you have access to Facebook and Instagram Shops (the checkout option is currently only available in the US), you definitely have to set it up and then create Custom Audiences from people who engaged with your Instagram or Facebook Shops.
In this guide, we are going to cover everything you have to know about Shopping Custom Audiences, so we are going to share:
- How to create a Shopping Custom Audience in Facebook Business Manager?
- How to create Facebook and Instagram Shops so you can use this Engagement Custom Audience type
- Types of Shopping Custom Audiences you can create
- How to increase your revenue from Facebook and Instagram by using Shopping Custom Audiences
- Other types of Engagement Custom Audiences you can try to drive more conversions.
At the end of the article, we will also answer the most frequently asked questions related to Facebook and Instagram Shopping Custom Audiences.
How to create a Shopping Custom Audience for Instagram and Facebook Shops?
Once you have set up your Facebook or Instagram Shop or both (see the paragraph below, if you haven’t set it up and you don’t know how to do it), you can easily create an Instagram or Facebook Shopping Custom Audiences. Here are the steps, you have to go through:
- Go to the Audiences page of your Facebook Business Manager. (You can change the Ad account on the top right corner if you need to)
- Click on ‘Create Audience’ button, then click on ‘Custom Audience’
3. In this new window, you have to choose the source of the Custom Audience, Click on ‘Shopping’
4. Here you will specify the exact conditions to your Shopping Custom Audience. First, you have to choose between an ALL and ANY operator which will define if the Shopping Custom Audience you are creating will include all the audiences you add (ANY condition) or just those people who meet all of the criteria you specify (ALL condition).
5. Then you have to decide if you want to create a Custom Audience for your Instagram or your Facebook Shop by choosing the Instagram account or the Facebook page option.
6. You can then choose the specific Instagram business page which will be the source of your Instagram Shop Custom Audience or the Facebook page that will provide the data for your Facebook Shopping Custom Audience.
7. In the next step, choose the condition that will segment the Shopping Custom Audience. (See the next section for the kinds of conditions you can apply).
8. Add the number of days you want people to remain in the custom audience. This is a dynamic timeframe, so they will be able to stay longer in the Shopping Custom Audience if they view, add a product to the cart multiple times in the given time period.
9. Last but not least, add a descriptive name and you can also add a description to the Shopping Custom Audience
10. Double-check if everything is the way you want (conditions, names, days, etc.) then click on “Create Audience’
Types of Shopping Custom Audiences you can create
You have three conditions you can apply to your Shopping Custom Audience, which are the following:
- People who viewed at least one product of the Facebook or the Instagram Shop. (this option doesn’t require the checkout option to be enabled)
- People who added any products to their cart (will include people who added products to their cart in Instagram or Facebook shops where the checkout option is enabled)
- People who purchased any products in your Instagram or Facebook Shops (the checkout option has to be enabled also if you want to use this condition)
As more conditions can be added, you can create one Shopping Custom Audience that contains both your Facebook Shop visitors and your Instagram Shop visitors. All you have to do is click on the ‘Include more people’ column
How to set up a Facebook or Instagram Shop?
If you want to create a Facebook Shopping Custom Audience, you either have to have an Instagram Shop or Facebook shop set up properly. As this tutorial is worth a full article we have created separate articles about both Instagram and Facebook Shops. Check them out here:
- How to create a Facebook Shop
- How to create an Instagram Shop
As we said, the checkout option of the Facebook and Instagram Shops is only currently available in the US and for some merchants outside the US. So if you can’t set up the shop yet, it means that Facebook hasn’t launched it in your country yet. You can’t really do anything other than wait for it.
Use Shopping Retargeting Audiences and LAAs to increase sales
Once you created your Shopping Custom Audiences, you can start running retargeting ads to people who viewed products in your Facebook or Instagram shops.
If you managed to ramp up the number of people who added products to their cart or purchased something on your Facebook or Instagram shop, it also makes sense to make Lookalike Audiences from these people using Shopping Custom Audience as the source audience.
If you want to learn more about Lookalike audiences and how to create them, read our guides by clicking on these links:
Other Engagement Custom Audiences you should take advantage of
As you can see one of the advantages of using Facebook Engagement Custom Audiences is that you don’t need advanced technical setups like with the Facebook Pixel or SDK.
- Custom Audiences from people who watched any of your videos on Facebook or Instagram
- Custom Audiences from people who opened or submitted one of your FB Lead forms
- Custom Audiences from people who interacted with one of your Facebook events
- Custom Audiences from people who opened on of your Instant Experience on FB or IG
- Custom Audiences from people who engaged with your Facebook page or one of your posts
- Custom Audiences from people who visited your Instagram business page or engaged with one of your Instagram posts or ads
- Custom Audiences from people who interacted with a product on your Facebook catalog
Frequently Asked Questions – Shopping Custom Audiences
My Facebook Shopping Custom Audience has not populated with users, why?
One of the reasons might be that checkout functionality of the Facebook Shops are not available in all countries yet so you won’t be available use them if you are not based in the US.
Can you retarget people who viewed products of your Facebook or Instagram shops?
Yes, you can easily retarget them by first creating Shopping Custom Audiences. You can retarget people who viewed products in your Facebook and Instagram shop and if you have the checkout option in your Facebook Shop enabled, you can also retarget people who added products to the cart or purchased the products.